In this article we want to explain how to install the MIUI 12.5 Beta officially presented together with the new Xiaomi Mi 11. While waiting for the MIUI 13 to be released in 2021, the software development team has chosen to introduce an intermediate version of the proprietary UI. For the moment there is no news yet regarding a possible Mi Pilot program for beta testing in the West. At the same time, the MIUI 12.5 Beta phase has already started in China, which will accompany us until the first months of the new year. For the permanent release we will have to wait until spring 2021, so if you are curious to try the news in preview, here's how.
Here's how to install the MIUI 12.5 Beta on Xiaomi and Redmi smartphones
First of all, a premise must be made. The MIUI 12.5 available today is the China Closed Beta: as explained in our vademecum, is a Beta ROM created for the Asian public (therefore without Italian language and Google services) and officially limited to a small circle of beta testers. For this, it is not a ROM that we recommend for everyday use and we strongly advise against it for those who are not familiar with modding. Not being an officially public ROM, it cannot be installed normally, but certain procedures must be followed.
IMPORTANT: the procedure described presents complex operations which, if performed incorrectly, could damage your device. It is recommended to run only by users who have gained good experience in modding. The staff of GizChina.it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. This procedure involves formatting the phone and the consequent loss of all data: it is recommended to make a backup.
1) Unlocking the bootloader
When installing alternative ROMs, as in this case, the first step is always unlocking the bootloader. This procedure does not invalidate the guarantee for products sold directly by Xiaomi Italia. For smartphones purchased from third parties, we recommend that you ask the seller directly.
3) ADB installation
As for the PC to use for installation, you need to download ADB and Fastboot (restart the PC if you have just installed them) and equip yourself with a USB cable for connection with the smartphone. Make sure the battery is at least al 75%, in order to avoid possible problems and / or interruptions during the installation.
4) TWRP custom recovery
The next step is to get the TWRP custom recovery to replace the one installed by default on the smartphone. This is unique to each model, so please refer to the Xiaomi / Redmi page of the TWRP official website. If there is no one for your model, just do a Google search by entering "model name" followed by "TWRP". Once downloaded, rename the file to "TWRP.img”And move it to the ADB folder.
- With the smartphone off, press the Power + Volume Down key at the same time to make it enter Fastboot mode
- Connect the smartphone to the PC via USB cable
- In the ADB folder, holding down the Shift key, right-click on an empty point and click on "Open PowerShell window here"The "Open a command window here" (depending on the Windows version)
- To check that the connected smartphone has been detected, type the command "fastboot devices": An alphanumeric string should appear with the message"fastboot“, In which case it is connected
- Type the command "fastboot flash recovery twrp. Img”To start the TWRP installation
- After installation, type the command "fastboot reboot" and, immediately after, hold down the Power + Volume Up key together until the Mi logo appears to make it enter TWRP mode
5) Backup and cleaning
Before installing the actual ROM, we recommend that you perform a system cleanup via TWRP recovery, as well as a backup of system files. By doing so, you can avoid any installation problems that may occur in the following steps, as well as set aside system files that you may need in the future.
- From the TWRP screen select "Backup"
- Leave the confirmation check mark on all items except "cache"
- Click on “Select storage” at the bottom to select whether to save the backup file in the smartphone or in an OTG memory
- Swipe to Back Up below
- If you have chosen the smartphone memory, once the backup has been performed, start the smartphone normally and transfer the file to the PC (you should find it in the form of a "TWRP" folder)
- Turn off your smartphone
- Start it in TWRP mode again by simultaneously pressing the Power + Volume key
- From the TWRP screen select this time "Wipe"And do"Swipe to Wipe ”at the bottom
6) MIUI 12.5 Beta installation
Here we are, the only step missing is to download and install the MIUI 12.5 Beta ROM: find the list with the related download links in the our dedicated article, always updated with the latest release available.
- Once the file is downloaded, copy it to the smartphone memory
- Start it in TWRP mode
- From the TWRP screen select "install"
- Look for and select the MIUI 12.5 Beta file you copied into memory
- You do "Swipe to Confirm Flash" down
⭐️ Discover the GizChina Advent Calendar with 25 super offers to unveil every day until Christmas .