Together with Mi MIX 2S, the Xiaomi Mi 8 is one of the two top of the range launched by Xiaomi during this 2018. Here, then, that in this guide we will explain how to do it unlocking the bootloader, install the TWRP and get the root permissions with the Xiaomi Mi 8, codenamed "dipper"
IMPORTANT: the procedure described presents complex operations that, if performed incorrectly, could damage your device. It is recommended to run only by users who have gained a good experience in modding. The staff of GizChina.it will not be held responsible for any damage to the device. This procedure involves formatting the phone and the consequent loss of all data: it is advisable to make a backup.
CAUTION: following the latest directives from Xiaomi, DO NOT INSTALL MY PREVIOUS TO THE ALREADY INSTALLED. This is due to the Anti-Rollback mechanism initiated by the company's software team. Even if it does not affect all the models currently on the market, with the passage of time these will increase. therefore We strongly urge you to check the list of smartphones with Anti-Rollback before proceeding to flash other ROMs.
How to install TWRP and get root on Xiaomi Mi 8 | Guide
Unblocking the bootloader
As usual, before starting, we remind you that to perform this type of procedure it will be necessary first unlocking the bootloader, explained in detail in our guide. The other prerequisites include a Windows PC with ADB and Fastboot (restart if you have just installed them) and a USB cable to connect the smartphone to the PC, which must have the battery at least at 75%, to avoid possible problems.
First you have to download the TWRP custom recovery, downloadable from this link. Once downloaded, move the file to the ADB folder (as a rule)C: \ adb“).
- Turn off the smartphone;
- Press together Power + Volume Down button to enter the Fastboot mode;
- Connect the smartphone to the PC;
- In the "adb" folder, hold down the Shift key, click with the right mouse button and select "Open PowerShell window here"Or "Open a command window here" (depending on which version of Windows you have);
- Check that the smartphone is detected with the command "fastboot devices", Following which an alphanumeric string should appear with the inscription"fastboot";
- Write "fastboot flash recovery -namefile-. Img"To start the TWRP installation;
- After the installation, write "fastboot boot -nomefile-. Img" to restart the phone in TWRP mode;
- Once in TWRP, select "Wipe"And run wipe dalvik and wipe cache.
PS: instead of -filename- you should write the name of the TWRP file to install. This is because renewed versions of the TWRP could be released, with a different name from the previous one.
LazyFlasher and Magisk installation
Once the custom recovery is installed, it is time to get root permissions, in this case via Magisk. But first we will have to install LazyFlasher to avoid possible blocks at startup.
- download Magisk e LazyFlasher and copy them into the phone's memory;
- Turn off the smartphone;
- Press together Power + Volume Down button to enter the TWRP screen;
- Confirm the change request at the first start;
- Select "install", Look for the Magisk file in memory and install it;
- Restart the phone in TWRP mode;
- Select "install", Look for the LazyFlasher file in the memory and install it;
- Restart the phone and open Magisk Manager to verify that the root was successful.
Discuss with us about the article and about it Xiaomi Mi 8 in the group Telegram. Do not miss any news in real time and the best offers dedicated on Xiaomi Inside!